Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Good Wife season 1 Review

Well, I’m back here with my next random post for this blog. In it, I review the first season of this show. There will be six other seasons to review at some point and I imagine that they will probably be the next six random blog posts after this one. I hope that I can come up with a good way of reviewing each season.

Season 1 overview: It can be hard for most shows that last a good while on TV to have the first season be remembered as anything other than the introductory season of the show. This show started with Peter in jail and he is eventually released and trying to run for office again even though convicted felons can’t run for office in Illinois. Alicia competes with Cary for a job at the firm and she eventually gets it leading Cary to become opposition to their firm in future seasons. Not much happens in regards with Will and Alicia’s romance with each other except for a kiss. I think that a phone call that he tries to make happens at the very end of this season. I don’t know of any other major events this season.

How this season was different than the others: Well, for one, this started the series as a whole and served as a general introduction to the series. Peter is in jail for a lot of the first season when he is normally more present on the show. Alicia and Cary are competing for their job at Lockhart Gardner during this time and that leads to riffs between them in future seasons. But this is when they start working together, even though it won’t be a long term agreement until much later.

What made it good: It seemed to be more focused on the trials and crimes than future seasons would wind up being. I believe that from the very beginning, they showed that the defense wouldn’t just wind up winning every case similar to how it almost always was in Matlock. There are more details of Alicia actually being loyal to her husband at the very beginning, even though her first affair with Will would wind up starting to leak through in this case.

What made it bad: I don’t think that there was ever that much detail as to why Peter was in jail that was made apparent as the show went on. I’ll admit, I came into this season a bit later than I should have so I may have just missed the explanation. There wasn’t as much to the characters just yet and no real story arcs that started other than Alicia’s budding romance with Will.

More thoughts: Since a good portion of TV is never made and another good portion only gets one season, then we are quite lucky that this lasted longer than its first, introductory season. This season was more it building steam for future developments that we saw along the way in the future. While I haven’t ranked the seasons yet, I’m sure that this would rank more in the middle as it was good, but future seasons wound up being better.


That’s all for this blog post. You’ll see my reviews of future seasons in the future. Just keep reading the cast updates and you’ll see these random updates in other, future times. Just know that there might be a pattern if I can do it. For now, this is Adam Decker, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment