Sunday, February 25, 2018

Bad Moms review

Since this movie has a sequel for this blog, I figured that I might as well do a review of this movie. It won’t be as simple as what you’d see in the regular cast updates. It will be more of a recap of the movie as I write about what happened in it and give my final thoughts on it at the end. But I figured that I might as well do this since I liked the sequel enough to give this installment a chance as well.

Before I go any further, I should note that I was not able to get the full version of this movie to watch as I got a rental version. I don’t know what might be edited out or otherwise changed as a result. I hope to avoid this problem in the future, but don’t know if I’ll be able to. I mean, I’d rather rent it since I don’t know who I could end up borrowing a movie from and if I lose stuff in the edit, then so be it.

We begin with Amy narrating the beginning of the story. She seems overworked with her life with kids. She still loves being a mom, though. She is a working mom, but it seems that some more snooty mothers aren’t okay with it.

We see her working at a hip hop place of some sort. Her employees don’t seem to know what to do. She is the boss and oldest one there. Back at home, she learns that her daughter made the soccer team, only this leads to more stress.

She finds her husband on a live stream with some naked woman which leads to some friction. I forget some of what happened in the sequel, but I think that she was with a different person then.

Some other characters are introduced as we learn about a PTA meeting. She seems to get in worse and worse shape as time progresses. The meeting talks about the bake sale that is upcoming. Amy is then volunteered for the bake sale because she showed up late for the meeting, only she decides not to do it in front of everyone.

Amy is then at a bar where Carla and Kiki are properly introduced. Kiki is such a great character whose oddness is great to me and I love Kristen Bell, the actress who plays her. I’d love for her to get a solo film.

The women get drunk and decide to be Bad Moms (which is conveniently the name of this movie). They go to a supermarket next and cause a bit of a ruckus. I wonder how much of this is similar to the sequel. Who was taking care of Amy’s kids? Her husband was kicked out, right? Who was taken care of Carla’s kids?

Amy then takes her kids in their father’s special car. She blows off work. I wonder if there will be consequences for her bad actions or if that won’t happen like in many different TV shows.

The mom group goes to the movie and then they talk at a restaurant. Amy talks about her husband and the problems that they have. She then goes to the bake sale and sees a man there. She then butts head with Gwendolyn, who has the strange group of snooty mothers. Is there the good group of three (incidentally, the bad moms) and the other group of three?

Amy then sneaks her kids into a special spa like place. But she accidently slips the fact that she is having marriage problems. What happened to him anyways? He just went away from the movie after earlier in it.

Gwendolyn makes problems for Amy’s kid. What was the name of this kid? Amy then wants to get laid since her husband is with naked Skype lady, or whoever she is. Amy has a mom bra, or whatever that is. Maybe it is. They want to get things ready for her and have a whole bunch of strange conversations such as about circumcision.

Amy makes a mistake by wearing her wedding ring in public. If my wife did what the man of this film did to Amy, I’d stop wearing the ring instantly. Amy is working at a coffee place, I think. I have no idea what she’s doing for sure. But she is flattered by the man in question which turns her on. But the film seems kind of ambiguous about what happened between the two.

Mike comes back to Amy’s life, but doesn’t want to do therapy. Mike is the name of Amy’s husband. She learns that her daughter is benched. But Gwendolyn seems to be continuing to cause other problems.

While Gwendolyn has yet another snooty event, it turns out that Amy’s event is more fun when they start drinking. Martha Stewart shows up, although I’m not entirely sure why she is such a big deal. And why was she in jail?

They seem to be doing a lot of montages in this film. They should do a montage of every montage in this film. I’ll see what Jeremy thinks about this movie when I see the video that I’ve posted in this blog for myself.

The one random guy shows up again and Amy winds up having sex with him. We then see Amy and Mike go to therapy together. But it doesn’t seem to go that well for each other. Their own therapist wants them to get divorced.

Amy shows back up to work and learns that she’s fired, which makes sense. But why did it take that long? Gwendolyn puts pot in Amy’s daughter’s locker which gets her out of extracurricular activity. Why is it Amy’s fault that this happened? Strangely, this child knows about sex even though it seems that she didn’t know at the beginning of the sequel. It’s at this point that Amy seems to realize the problems that she was causing by being reckless and careless.

We get to the election debate for PTA that Amy isn’t there for. I wonder if any of this film was improvised. After a motivational speech by her two friends, Amy goes on a wild and crazy ride to get there. Once there, she gives a strange speech. This is the sort of thing that you’d only see in R rated movies. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen The Candidate, but this is the sort of ridiculous thing that would happen in it.

After the open forum, Gwendolyn reveals just how messed up her life is. So maybe they are good now. Only she wasn’t in the sequel. But I don’t know what all could happen in this potential franchise. Things turn out good and she even gets her job back somehow since the person there was swamped with work.

It seems like things are nicely getting wrapped up at the end. Amy stays with the new man of hers. It seems that some relationships are repaired that need to be. At it seems that Gwendolyn takes the people on her plane.

We then get to a credit scene of the actresses talking with their actual mothers. I guess that there’s a bad mom in every mother and that’s the point of the film for some odd reason. That seems pretty weird to me.


Well, that’s the movie. It seemed strange in some places but seems to be pretty good in the end. Maybe I’ll watch it again, but I don’t know for sure. At least I have this update ready. Sorry for not doing this in November like I was wanting to at one point. For now, this is Adam Decker, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment